Overseas Apprenticeship Program
The Institute of Holistic Nutrition is proud to be the industry leader in international holistic development, with our stand-alone Overseas Apprenticeship Program (OAP) in East Africa, available exclusively to IHN graduates.
2016: Co-op Opportunity and Graduate Apprenticeship Program in Kitale, Kenya (East Africa)
Holistic Nutrition Teaching Opportunity in East Africa:
If you are an IHN graduate (or almost graduate) who loves learning, traveling, getting entrenched in new cultures, is passionate about teaching, and not afraid of a challenge; then this is the opportunity for you!
Three – five students per year will be given the opportunity of a lifetime to live and work in Kitale, with an amazing community of like minded people; and teach holistic nutrition to women’s groups in the village. Two employees of Eco Mama’s Global Community Gardens projects currently teach Bio-intensive Organic Agriculture in conjunction with holistic nutrition to these groups.
Upcoming OAP standard 14-week placements commence:
(one – two positions available per session)
2017 dates TBD
Primary Roles Include
– Teaching work-shop style nutrition lessons in various settings (garden-side, people’s homes, community centres/ churches etc.)
– Establishing garden beds for school children and running free community workshops
– Digging garden beds, food demo’s, identifying and teaching new groups in community outskirts
– Update website/blog and post regular photos on holistic nutrition in Africa on Eco Mama’s Global Community Gardens Facebook Page
– Learn about Organic Agriculture and Herbal Medicine in the tropics (on-site)
Applicants will possess the following traits: Experience teaching or have a passion for teaching; the ability to learn quickly and adapt to new situations with ease, be “low maintenance” (you may be using a latrine, taking “bucket showers” and cook meals on an open fire), be personable and open-minded, hard-working, and have a thirst for learning.
Advanced applicants will ALSO possess the following traits: Extensive experience travelling overseas, including non-guided travel to 3rd world countries; be extremely outgoing, possess very strong leadership qualities and problem solving skills, be well organized, and be capable of spending 6-12 months overseas if desired.
Applicants will also:
– Have attended an information session at IHN about the OAP (Toronto: June 2016, Vancouver: Spring 2016 – dates TBD)
– Have an up-to-date resume or CV submitted to IHN’s Vancouver Campus GM, Shayna Grimwood, via email with intention of interest clearly stated
– Submit a 3-5 page essay on How and why sustainable development in Africa is important, and what makes you the ideal candidate for the position
– Complete an intensive application and interview process, for this chance of a lifetime opportunity!
Note that students may participate as alumni or for co-op hours
OAP 14-week Investment – Aprox CDN $3500.00 – $5000.00
Includes – Flights, accommodations, food, transportation, visas, entertainment/ local recreational activities, for 3 months – Accommodation and flight costs vary
Applicants who may stay for a minimum of 30 days may be considered outside regular application periods for specialized projects.
*** THIS IS A 100% NOT-FOR-PROFIT PROGAM AND ALL FUNDS GO TO GROUND EFFORTS IN EAST AFRICA ***
Our Sustainable Mission in Africa
The main focus of this project is sustainability! The idea is to go and educate other adults so that they may pass on holistic values to their children; thus helping reduce disease and poverty in Africa; and create long-lasting change at a grass-roots level.
Our graduates will be going to Africa, to teach… But they will also be going, to learn… The successful applicants will be going solo, to teach daily in various village settings to (primarily) unemployed women’s groups.
Five months in Africa was just long enough…
“When you truly start to fall in love with this place, I think it is like falling in love with a person. You weigh the pros and cons, spend lots of time together… Try to figure out if all the little idiosyncrasies are things that you can live with or not… And then I think one day it just sort of hits you. It happened to me yesterday. And now I can’t stop thinking about it. I am dreaming about it. How much I truly love this place…”
Blog Entry (November, 2009)
CAN’T GO TO AFRICA, BUT WANT TO HELP?
International Development Co-op’s are available in your home town! If you are an awesome planner; creative, motivated, resourceful, and connected to lots of people; fundraising opportunities are available for your co-op; and you can help support sustainable agricultural practices and organic farming in Kenya and Uganda!
Please contact Shayna Grimwood at email@example.com to find out how you can start raising money for something that really matters, while also getting hours for your co-op!
* Please note – self-purchased travel insurance, at the discretion of OAP participants, is strongly recommended by IHN. All participants will be required to sign a non-liability waiver prior to travelling; IHN and its affiliates do not take responsibility for any items lost or stolen while participating in the OAP, and are not liable for any health, safety or security issues which may arise. While participation in the OAP is an opportunity of a lifetime it involves travel to a foreign country where the unexpected may occur – it is the participants responsibility to research the risks and determine if the program is for them.